Obesity (morbid obesity) with a BMI over 30 is already a chronic disease according to the WHO. Obesity is now also assuming epidemic proportions in Germany. A frightening annual growth rate can be seen. Over 20% of adults are classified as obese. 1-2% of the population suffer from morbid obesity (BMI over 40), which corresponds to around 800,000 patients.
Our goal is to give overweight people a realistic chance of sustained weight loss. There are various surgical options for this.
Head of the Obesity Center is MD Hinrich Koehler, Chief Physician of the Surgical Clinic of the HEH, who has been repeatedly honored by the magazine FOCUS as one of the nationwide most experienced obesity therapists.
Since 2013, we have been the only reference center for obesity and metabolic surgery in Lower Saxony certified by the DGAV (German Society for General and Visceral Surgery).
Patients who present themselves during our obesity consultation will first be informed in detail about the possibilities of surgical treatment of the pathological overweight. There is a comprehensive history and it is checked whether there may be an indication for an operation.
MD Hinrich Koehler
Head of the Surgical Clinic, Head of the Obesity Center, Head of the Thyroid Center, Head of the Colorectal Cancer Center
- 1990-1996 Study of human medicine at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
- 1996 Practical year, Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig
- 1996-1997 Practical year, The Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital Johannesburg, South Africa
Clinical and scientific career
- 1997-1998 Department of General Surgery at the University Hospital Tübingen
- 1997 Doctorate at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
- 1998-2000 Department of Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery at the Municipal Hospital Braunschweig
- 2000-2001 Department of Traumatology at the Municipal Hospital Braunschweig
- 2001-2002 Department of General Surgery at Marienstift Braunschweig
- 2002 Additional designation rescue medicine
- 2003 Specialist in surgery
- Since 2003 Surgical Clinic of the Duchess Elisabeth Hospital Braunschweig
- 2005 Appointment as functional senior physician
- 2007 Appointment as senior physician
- 2007 Additional name proctology
- Since 2008 Head of the Surgical Clinic of the Duchess Elisabeth Hospitals Braunschweig
- Since 2010 Head of the Obesity Center
- 2011 Specialist in Visceral Surgery and Special Visceral Surgery
- Since 2015 Clinical trial investigator
- Since 2017 Head of the Competence Center for Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery
- Since 2018 Head of the Colon Cancer Center
DGCH German Society for Surgery
DGAV German Society for General and Visceral Surgery
NDCH Association of North German Surgeons
CAADIP Surgical Association Adiposity Therapy and Metabolic Surgery
CACP Surgical Association for Colo-Proctology
CAEK Surgical Association Endocrinology
IFSO International Federation for the International Federation for the Surgery of OBESITY AND METABOLIC DISORDERS