Herniated discs’ treatment is one of the major directions to which special consideration is given in German clinics. More than 3200 surgeries of intervertebral prolapse are performed annually. The modern methods of diagnosis and therapy allow helping patients to be freed this problem and unpleasant symptoms. Treatment is always considered carefully after thorough examination.
Disc prolapse treatment in the German orthopedic centre always starts from complex diagnosis. German specialists employ following methods of diagnosis to determine severity of pathology and to pick the best way to deal with it:
- Computer aided tomography;
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI);
- MRI in motion;
- X-ray examination.
All of the said methods allow to get precise full information regarding size and stracture of the herniated disc, presence of inflammation and coexistent diseases, as well as to work out the most effective plan of treatment.
There are two basic therapeutical methods in Germany: traditional and surgical. At the same time high skilled orthodedists do their best to choose for the most sparing therapy. Surgery is indicated only when clear indications are present, e.i. intractable pain syndrom, strangury etc.
Herniated discs’ treatment with traditional methods may include:
- Cryopreservation of painful terminals;
- Spine cord electrostimulation;
- Percutaneous laser decompression;
- Chemonucleolysis – dilution and exhausting of hernia.
If traditional methods fails, doctor can make a decision for surgery. The following surgical methods are used for herniated discs’ treatment in Germany:
- Percutaneous nucleotomy – partial excision of herniated disc with a special helical probe. This surgery is considered minimally invasive and requires only local anaesthesia.
- Percutaneous thermocoagulation of intervertebral discs – impact on the nociceptor with high temperature by means of special thermoprobe.
- Endoscopic microdiscectomy – surgical treatment for large-sized hernias. All manipulations are performed with endoscope and do not require extensive cuts as well as bone resection. This approach allows patients to recover promptly and also to avoid postoperative complications.
- Prosthetics of an intervertebral disc – in case intervertebral disc is impaired significantly, its replacement may be required. High quality titan prosthesis fixed by experienced surgeons can help restoring mobility and forget about pain.
Thus, modern orthopedy has numerous methods to provide highly effective treatment of herniated discs. It is important to asked for qualified help timely.
Herniated discs’ treatment in Germany means possibility to take on advantages from state-of-the-art medicine:
- Minimally invasive surgery reducing complications’ risks and recovery period;
- Endoscopic surgery;
- Usage of intraoperative computer system providing maximum precision;
- Safe high quality certified materials;
- Therapy efficiency is as high as 99%;
- Individual complex services meet all relevant requirements.
Herniated discs’ treatment in German orthopedic clinics will be carried out to achieve best results. You can be confident in our specialists and their competency, and to entrust them with your health easily.
- Hospitalization period: 2 days after the cervical discs prosthetics and 10 days in case of the loin discs prosthetics
- Hospital rehabilitation: 14 days after the cervical discs prosthetics and 21 days in case of the loin discs prosthetics
- The price of the herniated disc surgery: 10,000 euros – 20 000 euro
We will gladly consult you concerning the herniated disc surgery and can help you to plan your medical travel to Germany.
The clinic’s activity is based on the conception that is unique in the whole Nordrhein-Westfalen. It involves minimally invasive herniated disc surgery. The operations in the clinic are performed by the experienced and recognized on the international level specialists. M.D., prof. Joachim Schmidt has been working in the clinic for 11 years already. About 1500 herniated disc surgeries are carried out under his control every year which are aimed at spinal disc treatment including prosthetics. When choosing treatment abroad, you say farewell to your back pain and make a step to new life. One of the most efficient hernia disc surgery, is, according to Prof. Schmidt, an endoscopic microdiskectomy. The success rate of this surgical intervention makes up about: 98,7%.
Endoscopic microdiskectomy is a neurosurgical operation for the removal of a hernia that relates to the minimally invasive surgeries (i.e. surgery that is performed through a small incision in soft tissues) using microsurgical instruments and operating microscope. Herniated disc surgery in Germany in this way is carried out under general anesthesia. The surgery that is performed according to the method of endoscopic microdiskectomy shortens the rehabilitation period to 3-5 days in comparison with the traditional surgeries using the “open” method. It essentially reduces the risk of possible complications after the surgical procedure. This is one of the most effective and sparing back surgery methods.
To learn more about the treatment methods at this and the other clinics, please call us.
The spine treatment center at the Clinical Center of Friedrichshafen is a modern clinical institution, offering the whole scope of modern microsurgical spine treatment methods. Among them are:
Laser reconstruction of herniated disc. The intervertebral disk is irradiated by a special laser in several places. It is carried out by the means of needle puncture in the damaged disc under local anesthesia avoiding the areas with nerves. The disc’s temperature rises to 70 degrees but the disc does not collapse. Thus, cartilaginous cells are stimulated to grow and, as a result, the disc between vertebras recovers. Herniated disc surgery in Germany according to this method is effective for all parts of the body: chest, neck and also loin. It brings very good results with further conservative therapy and helps to 100% eliminate the back pain.
Herniated facet nerve destruction belongs to the minimally invasive surgeries under local anesthesia. During the surgery pain receptor inactivation occurs in the intervertebral joints (facet jonts) with the help of a radio-frequency probe, with previous nerves blocking and under control of an electro-optical transducer in two projections. Radio-frequency destruction of the facet nerves has some contraindications for patients: previous spine surgeries; younger than 18 and older than 72; patients with spinal blood circulation disorder; alcohol and drug addicts, addiction to sedatives, psychosocial factors that define perception of pain.
Vertebroplasty of herniated disc deformation is a minimally invasive herniated disc surgery that is used in Germany for vertebra recovery (fixation) through a puncture in skin. The spine surgery is performed under local anesthesia with minor tissue trauma and under control of the special X-ray device. The whole hernia treatment procedure in Germany usually takes about one hour and as soon as the cement becomes solid the patient can go home – hospitalization is not required. Bed rest for a day is recommended after the herniated disc surgery with subsequent gradual increase of physical activity.
The efficiency of vertebroplasty is rather high in the terms of management of pain caused by the vertebra deformation – approximately 90% with resumption of physical activity. And the main advantages of this surgery are the following:
- Strengthening and recovery of the damaged or affected body of the vertebra;
- Elimination of the vertebra body deformation during various loads;
- Prevention of the compression fracture progression (if present), i.e. stabilization of the damaged vertebra axis;
- Anesthetic effect due to heat liberation by the bone cement at the moment of solidification;
- In case of tumors and metastasis blood supply disturbance occurs due to thermal influence of the cement, and tumor cell death occurs as well as a result of toxic exposure to the chemical components of the injected material.
Kyphoplasty. Like vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive hernia disc surgery that is aimed at the spine compression fracture treatment. The whole surgery is performed under local or general anesthesia and does not require big surgical incisions (skin puncture is enough). Special tube is introduced into the vertebra body with the help of a special needle during the surgery. The bubble at the end of the tube inflates after being placed in the right area and the vertebra body restores its initial form and all possible fragments get back to their place.
Kyphoplasty has the following treatment results:
- The pain in the back reduces essentially or stops at all;
- Natural spinal curvature is recovered, normal posture remains;
- “Slump” of the damaged vertebra is prevented and, as a result, further spine deformation and possible related problems are eliminated.
Intervertebral disc prosthetics (endoprosthesis replacement) is carried out in the most severe cases of herniated disc, disc degeneration, after diskectomy. New prosthetic devices are gradually introduced into wide practice of the herniated disc treatment, osteochondrosis and other spinal diseases that are caused by the degenerative processes in the intervertebral discs. This treatment method is used in case of degenerative changes in the loin of the spine. The prosthetics material is a titanium implant, polymeric cushion and also new types of the biological prostheses that are maximally similar to the real tissues qualities. The result of the herniated disc surgery is maintenance of the spinal physiological mobility.