In 90% of cases this pathology is formed in deep vessels of lower leg. The formation of blood clots can be the result of disturbances of the blood flow or blood coagulability. 13 special substances and enzymes are responsible for the blood coagulation, each of them having an antagonistic anticoagulation substance. It insures healthy, normal blood clotting. Various pathological phenomena and disturbances can cause malfunction of the anticoagulation system:
- Hormonal failures
- Infectious diseases
Blood clots can also form as the result of violation of blood flow caused by vascular pathology of the lower limbs, injuries and operations:
- Congenital and acquired abnormalities of the lower limb veins: first of all, it is varicosity and disturbances of vascular valves performance.
- Surgical interventions and injuries are dangerous because they can damage a vessel and cause the coagulant thromboplastin to get into blood stream, causing the formation of blood clots.
The following categories of people are in the risk group:
- Obese patients
- People over 40-45
- Professional athletes
- People standing at work or having a "sitting" office work.
In 80% of cases thrombosis is unnoticed, especially at the first stages of the disease development. However, if blood clots cause blockage of the veins, patients usually note the following symptoms:
- Heaviness and feeling of expansion
- Edema, swelling
- Glossy or cyanotic skin tone
- The affected limb feels colder than the healthy one
Additional symptom in thrombophlebitis (inflammation of veins) can be the fever up to 39 degrees. In the absence of treatment the blood clot can eventually break free and cause thromboembolism: a life-threatening condition. It happens in 5-15% of cases.
The center of phlebology in Passau, in Germany, has a unique diagnostic base, which helps to identify different types of vein thrombosis and prescribe an appropriate treatment. Conservative treatment of veins is used, if an occlusive thrombus has been found. This is a minor form of vein thrombosis, when hardened blood clot accretes to the venous walls and covers the inner lumen completely. Treatment of the parietal vein thrombosis is also included in the list of conservative care. It is localized on the walls of the vessel and does not prevent the circulation, therefore, it is considered to be low-hazard.
Today, modern clinic of phlebology in Passau, Germany, provides a full range of conservative methods of treatment:
- drug treatment of vein thrombosis. Doctors prescribe fibrinalytics and thrombolytics that destroy blood clots. Moreover, to reduce blood clotting and formation of the clots they use anticoagulants. Among this group of drugs, the leading positions are occupied by low-molecular heparins. They are easy to use: the patient gives himself an injection in the abdominal wall1-2 times a day; there can’t be overdosage and complications;
- radiowave therapy. In this field the phlebologists of Passau clinic in Germany prefer radiofrequency obliteration Venefit. An automated system realizes treatment of vein thrombosis of different origin successfully, including the elimination of the thrombus, appeared because of the inflammation of the vein walls. On an outpatient basis, under local anesthesia, the RF catheter is injected into an affected area of the vessel. It has special sensors that allow regulating the quality of the thermal effects, depending on the therapeutic purposes. A radiowave beam destroys the thrombus, leaving intact venous cavity. Such radio-frequency treatment of vein thrombosis has an impeccable precision of the intervention and maximum safety. Moreover, it helps to avoid pain syndrome. In comparison with laser, its impact is more gentle.
If conservative treatment has not helped, then surgical treatment of vein thrombosis is prescribed. Highly qualified phlebologists of Passau clinic in Germany follow a comprehensive approach for solving surgical problems. Thus, during the operation various methods that make up a successful combinational therapy can be used. The surgical base of the center of phlebology in Passau, Germany, includes the following innovative techniques:
- crossectomy is a minimum invasive surgical intervention, aimed at elimination of thrombophlebitis (deep vein thrombosis of the lower limbs with inflammatory lesions on the inner surface of the vessel) and phlebothrombosis (deep vein thrombosis of the lower limbs without symptoms of vascular walls inflammation). During crossectomy the phlebologist performs all manipulations through a small incision, which is made in the natural folds of the legs (below the knee or in the groin area). In these areas the sapheno-femoral junctions of the great saphenous vein are situated. The selected vein is transected and estuarine tributaries are tied. Such activity allows avoiding the penetration of the detached clots in vascular artery of lungs, brain and heart. Also it renews blood backflow in the lower limbs;
- mini-phlebektomy eliminates varices, deformed and clogged venous areas by thrombi. The method of mini-phlebektomy includes creation of minimally invasive, 1-2 mm long punctures in the area of the affected vasculature. The pathologically changed part of the vein is extracted by a hook through each puncture. After that, its excision with the help of a fastener takes place. Each subsequent segment of the vein is extracted through a new puncture. Thus, the patient has the possibility to carry out effective vein thrombosis treatment, since the method eliminates the risk of recurrence of the disease in a particular area. Mini-phlebektomy provides a wonderful cosmetic effect, the healing is quick and without scars;
- probe stripping is a method of treatment that was developed for the removal of the venous trunk to eliminate improper downwards blood flow and vein thrombosis. Due to a thin probe with a cutting tip, the selected vein is removed from its space. The main advantage of stripping is short terms of rehabilitation.
The clinic of phlebology in Passau, Germany, offers universal therapeutic methods that cover a wide spectrum of diseases of the venous system. High-tech equipment and professional care of their patients allowed the center to form an exclusive and successful scheme of vein thrombosis treatment.
GermanMedicalGroup is an aggregator company that unites more than 150 clinics, hospitals and medical centers in Germany and other European countries. The wide choice of clinics allows GermanMedicalGroup to offer the fullest range of medical services.
The company offers patients suffering from deep vascular diseases of the lower limbs professional treatment in clinics specializing in phlebology and vascular surgery.
Pforzheim Phlebology Center
Pforzheim Phlebology Center has been working in the field of angiology for more than 20 years. During this time thousands of procedures and operations were carried out in the angiology center, including treatment of deep vessels of the lower limbs. The chief physician of the clinic, Dr. Thomas Weiler is one of the leading experts in the field of phlebology and vascular surgery in Germany. The center utilizes innovative trends in vascular treatment, including the Celon and VNUS systems, allowing to treat many vascular diseases in one visit. More Info...
Freiburg Venous Center
Freiburg Venous Center is a top-level phlebology clinic operating since 1981. The center was founded by Michael Hartman MD, phlebologist and plastic surgeon. The venous center is providing a full range of interventions for ambulatory and inpatient treatment of vascular diseases.
Capio Clinic was founded by Dr. Norbert Fringsom, who has been working in the field of phlebology and vascular surgery for 30 years. Dr. Frings is among the top 100 doctors in Germany and is the owner of the Rheinland-Pfalz medal for his contribution to the development of phlebology. Capio Clinic has an excellent reputation among clients: 85% of new patients come to the clinic on the advice of their relatives or friends. More Info...
GermanMedicalGroup organizes the treatment of deep veins of the lower limbs in Germany without intermediaries: you will not need to overpay for medical services. Thanks to close cooperation with Europe's leading institutions, we will organize your treatment quickly and without any bureaucratic maze. GermanMedicalGroup supports patients at all stages of treatment: we will help you with medical visa application, arrange transfer and provide with interpreter services.