The main focus of pediatric orthopedics in Germany is the treatment of children with neurogenic problems as well as foot and gait disturbance etc. About 2000 young patients are treated annually at such centers. There are more than 30 orthopedic centers, specializing in treatment of child diseases. In particular, the German orthopedic centers treat children with the following diseases (Pediatric orthopedics fields of competence):
- cerebral paralysis (CP)
- multiplex congenita (AMC)
- the rare diseases (Angelman syndrome, Rett syndrome, Pelizaeus-Merzbacher syndrome, myotonic dystrophy, Guillain-Barre syndrome)
- chromosomal abnormalities
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Spina bifida
- Neurogenic dislocation or subluxation of the hip
- Gait disturbance ("squat" gait, gait with rotary movements inside, walking with stiff legs.
- neurogenic foot deformity ("horse" foot, clubfoot, flatfoot combination with external clubfoot, hollow foot)
- axis deformation of the feet and hands
The neurological diseases are the major causes of various orthopedic problems, in particular, gait disturbance, dysplasia and deformations requiring the differentiated treatment.
Pediatric orthopedic centers offer the high quality treatment of orthopedic disorders in children. For the treatment of the diseases associated with incorrect position of the foot and gait disorders, pediatric orthopedics and foot surgery specialist in Germany offers a full range of conservative and operative methods. Before the scheduled surgery the young patients are examined in the prescribed manner with a standard tool in gait analysis mode, 3D, which allows to choose the best method of treatment. For this purpose, we have a modern and certified laboratory analysis of movements and gait. Once a week, during a meeting of experts going professional assessment gait analysis and detailed planning of surgery or conservative treatment.
The German orthopedic clinics have achieved high success rates in treatment of spina bifida. Spinal bifida is a syndrom of a “split spine” based on the incomplete closure of neural tube in the underdeveloped spinal cord. This congenital abnormality develops on the ninth week of pregnancy.
Depending on the severity of the defect there are three main forms of spina bifida:
- Meningocele (Spina bifida). This is a comparatively light form: the spinal cord meninx protuberates under the skin via a fissure in vertebral arches. There are no defects in spinal cord integrity and function.
- Meningomyelocele (Spina bifida). This is a more advanced form of spina bifida. The spinal column is more open, the parts of a spinal cord and nerve fibers go outside.
- Myeloschisis. This is a particularly nasty form that implies parts of a spinal cord and nerve fibers are fully open (without skin cover).
Pediatric orthopedics. Spina bifida (spina bifida) is often accompanied by hydrocephalus (water on the brain). Uncured spina bifida can cause serious problems in locomotor system and some inner organs functioning. A child may experience problems when learning to walk. It is hard to control the bowel and bladder function. People with spina bifida are more allergic to latex. However, the disease doesn’t influence on child’s cognitive ability.
Pediatric orthopedics. The split spine treatment in Germany is performed in the earliest age. Orthopedic centers in Germany offer minimally invasive surgical treatment.
Meningocele and meningomyeloce require surgical treatment to correct the position of pial membranes and to close the fissures ins spinal bones. The treatment should be performed during the first hours or days after birth. Early surgery can help to lower the risk of infections of open nerves and protect the spinal cord from additional traumas. During the surgery a neurosurgeon will allocate the marrow and open tissues inside the child’s body and cover them with muscles and skin. Sometimes the doctor installs a bypass to control hydrocephalus.
A child with spina bifida requires continuous orthopedic and urologic control after treatment.
If you decided for professional treatment in Germany, please, call us. We will not only consult you on all the questions, concerning the treatment, but also help you to organize the treatment in Germany.