In following list of German physicians you will find the best hip orthopedic specialists. Here you can access the presentations of these experts and send them a direct request for trearment or estimated cost.
German surgeons usually offer following hip surgery options. Arthroplasty (modeling of joint surfaces): gentle methods with minimal invasive surgery like hip resurfacing (Birmingham Hip Resurfacing=BHR or McMinn-Resurfacing). Endoprosthetics: partial/total or bilateral joint replacement. During the operation the hip joint is fully replaced by the artificial one (hospital stay is no more than 5-8 days, recovery after hip surgery at rehablitation center about 7-10 days).
|Total hip arthroplasty||from €11,000|
|Cap endoprosthetics||from €15,000|
|Revision of the hip implant||from €6,000|
German physicians enjoy a high reputation and trust in Germany. If you need a hip operation, send an inquiry today!
Evolving hip joint arthrosis / arthritis is an indication for either a traditional total, or complete, hip replacement or hip resurfacing (arthroplasty). These kinds of operations are variations of the hip replacement, but differ from each other significantly.
Hip resurfacing implies the maximal preservation of the hip bone. In this case only the surface damaged layer of the bone tissue is removed, and the whirlbone is covered with a metal cap to avoid further damage.
Hip resurfacing benefits
Today, a number of studies are conducted on the subject. The orthopedic surgeons all over the world acknowledge the benefits of hip resurfacing over the traditional method.
- Hip resurfacing facilitates revision (repeated) operation. As far as those endoprostheses that are used in the hip replacement consist of mechanical components, it is marked that with time the whole implant unavoidably wears out and gets loose. As a rule, it takes place in 10-20 years after the operation.
- The risk of the hip endoprosthesis displacement is less. Hip resurfacing implies the usage of more massive femoral components that fit the size of the real whirlbone in a greater degree. For this reason, their displacement occurs more rarely. But this statement is contradictory, as the risk of the hip endoprosthesis displacement after the operation depends on a number of other factors, including the applied surgical method, as well as the size and type of the utilized endoprosthesis components.
- Hip resurfacing makes walking after the operation easier. In some studies it is shown that the patients after hip resurfacing walk more naturally than after the traditional operation. However, such differences are barely noticeable and their detection requires the usage of special instruments.
- Hip resurfacing provides a greater range of the joint motion. As a rule, the patients after this operation have a greater range of motion than those after the traditional hip replacement. Nevertheless, several types of modern total endoprostheses allow achieving results that are similar to hip resurfacing ones.
Surgical intervention is recommended in the case of evolving osteoarthritis, when conservative (non-surgical) treatment is ineffective. The operation is performed only if the state of the hip joint affects the patient’s life quality significantly and disrupts the performance of his daily activities.
This method is recommended for the treatment of young and active patients. Generally, the patients under the age of 60 years, with a well-developed bony frame (often, but not always are male) and a satisfactory bone tissue state are the most suitable for hip resurfacing. The female patients of an older age with an underdeveloped skeletal system in conjunction with the fragility of the bone tissue have a high risk of complications, e.g. a femoral neck fracture.
Hip resurfacing surgery. General information for patients:
- The duration of hospital stay: 5 days
- Inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation in Germany: 10-14 days
- The earliest home departure time: 10-12 days
- Postoperative control: X-rays in 6 months after the operation, then in 12 months
- The duration of disability: 6 weeks
- The cost of the operation: 16.700–20.000 Euros
- Large cysts in fumeral head as indication for partial hip replacement
- Partial atrophy of fumeral head (avascular necrosis of fumeral head)
- Dysplasia and deformations of fumeral head and neck. Advanced form of inflammatory arthrosis causing tissue loss
Resurfacing surgery/ partial hip replacement in Germany is an effective and sparing form of joint replacement. Orthopedic clinics of Germany are among the best in the world offering joint surgeries. Doctors of our orthopedic department in Germany have great experience and are highly competent. This, together with clinic’s world-standard technical equipment, allows them to conduct such kind of surgeries. The cost of partial hip replacement makes up about 10 000-10 000 euro.
Another important aspect is that our clinic collaborates with different research institutes which share their new achievements and designs of joint implants with us. Institute specialists whose work is aimed at improvement of existing implants and creating new types of them try to make them more reliable and also find new methods of joint replacement surgeries.
We will do everything to restore full functioning of your joints!
Premature joint aging in young people can be caused by various factors, for example, by hereditary hip joint deformation, blood flow disorder during physical growth or in adulthood, consequences of accidents, excess weight, different kinds of inflammation, predisposition to disease of cartilaginous tissue, etc.
In this case, there is a reasonable solution to this problem: young, active people are offered resurfacing surgery in Germany. A special type of hip endoprosthesis was created in 1980s in Britain – it replaces only the surface of femoral head and coxal cavity joints. It also secures that interacting metal surfaces of prosthesis are fitting.
Polymer materials prevent superficial endoprosthesis from wearing, and fully imitated anatomical ratio of hip joint makes it stable and reliable. As much bone stock as possible is saved, which allows conducting and considerably simplifying revision prosthesis transplantation surgeries, thus in Germany resurfacing surgeries are preferably chosen for young people. After successful prosthesis implantation patients are able not only to move around without pain, but also do sports.
Nowadays there are various techniques of joint resurfacing in Germany:
- Resurfacing surgery in Germany according to Mc Minn or Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR)
- Partial fumeral head replacement in Germany according to Mc Minn or Birmingham Mid Head Resection
This method has a distinctive feature: during this surgery only destructive joint surfaces are separated, while fumeral head and neck are left intact. Fumeral head is covered with a so-called metal cap made of cobalt, chrome and molybdenum alloys. Partial hip replacement (Resurfacing) surgery in Germany is a way to avoid extensive surgery
Partial hip replacement (Resurfacing surgery) in Germany according to Mc Minn: main advantages of resurfacing surgery compared to conventional protheses:
- Resurfacing does not affect leg and hip muscles length
- Feels like a natural joint
- Anatomical size of the implant maintains natural range of motions and reduces dislocation frequency
- Natural load distribution on thigh and hip bones and femoral head prevents bones from deformation and destruction
- Resurfacing allows to keep paraarticular tissues of hip bone and creates best possible conditions for repeated replacement
- Resurfacing does not require massive removal of bone material
- Metal-metal sliding pair is totally wear-resistant
Sometimes considerable loss of femoral head substance is found in patients, whose age and physical training conditions make them perfect for resurfacing surgeries, but this defect, of course, is fraught with risk. Until lately it was impossible to conduct this surgery in such patients. Thanks to partial fumeral head replacement or mid head resection available in German clinics, such patients with considerable loss of bone stock now have a chance to get back to normal everyday life. Partial fumeral head prostheses are short and conic cementless titanium nails which are fixed in the lower segment of fumeral head and neck. Medullary canal of hip bone is not opened.
The most recognized method of sparing bone-preserving endoprosthesis replacement is McMinn’s method. Due to its sparing nature, this operation has become one of the most popular orthopaedic surgeries in Germany. Its effectiveness is proved by impressive long term results of more than 200,000 surgeries made all over the world. McMinn method also bears the name of Birmingham resurfacing prosthesis.
This surgery preserves the bone, and the most of the natural joint remains undamaged. During the total (full) hip endoprosthesis replacement the femur head (hip ball-and-socket joint) is completely replaced by a long pin. In McMinn surgery only a few centimeters of femoral bone surface is removed.
McMinn surgery/hip resurfacing at the Clinical center GKH in Bonn, Germany
GKH Clinic in Bonn is a multi-field specialized health care center in Germany that provides high-level medical services with the use of the newest equipment and technologies. This clinic is able to provide 100% reliable treatment in all medical areas for foreign patients. Tight cross-disciplinary collaboration of doctors from different medical areas is a fundamental basis of full complex therapy for our patients. The McMinn surgery has been performed at the orthopedic unit of the hospital GKH since 2001. The Head of the department is a talented surgeon, Holger Haas, who has been monitoring the department activity since 1999.
McMinn surgery allows thousands of patients, including world renowned sportsmen to forget about pains from hip joint arthrosis and return high quality of life. Prof. Winter, the medical director of Friedrichshafen Clinic, is one of the most experienced surgeons in the world working by McMinn method. Over the last 8 years he has performed more than 100 surgeries of such kind with excellent, long-term results. Moreover, Prof. Winter conducts a wide-scale scientific research dedicated to McMinn surgery.
These are only two of numerous orthopedic centers in Germany, where the top level hip resurfacing is offered. The authoritative clinics and centers of the arthroplasty in Germany, in particular Friedrichshafen clinic, meet the highest standards of modern medicine, so the quality of the operations of the hip joint replacement in German hospitals is very high.
More than 10 years this method is used in Germany. The sufficient statistic, accumulated during this time, convinces of the benefits of this method. Its essence is in the substitution of only the surface of the whirlbone for the endoprosthesis, but not its complete removal together with the femoral neck as in the complete arthroplasty. Working on the principle of “Why remove a tooth when you can leave its part and crown it?”, hip resurfacing saves much larger part of the bone than the standard method does.
These are important factors affecting the success of the hip joint operations:
- the right choice of the prosthesis type and the method of its attachment;
- the fitness of the prostheses size and the individual anatomical features;
- the usage of high-quality and reliable types of the prostheses;
- the exact positioning of the prosthesis;
- ensuring timely postoperative rehabilitation and subsequent recovery.