Leukemia is a cancer of the blood or bone marrow. It is characterized with overproducing of abnormal blood cells that rapidly grow and supplant normal blood cells activity.
Nowadays leukemia treatment is paid special attention to because this disease can be detected not only in adults, but also amidst children. Even an infant can have such diagnosis as leukemia. Exactly for this reason as soon as a potential patient finds out that he is ill, he should undergo a full medical examination.
Leukemia (leukosis) treatment is carried out with a help of medications, but this has a temporary effect. That’s why the most effective and arguably the only one method of getting rid of this disease is a surgical way. Medicine and particularly surgery in Germany rose to high level that makes leukemia and other diseases treatment to be considerably effective.
“Leukemia” diagnosis sounds shocking. That’s why taking any actions and getting a grip on yourself as soon as possible is extremely important is such situations. Leukemia treatment possible, consulting a doctor and having an initial examination are more important steps to treatment. This diagnostics procedure in Germany includes a care bundle that consists of blood test, bone marrow state and general well-being of a patient.
The main goal of this approach is identifying of pathological blood cells, testing lymphatic system function and detecting of immature blood cells. A patient has to undergo medical tests to be aware of disease existence. Additionally, German doctors conduct a range of research using ultrasound investigation (sonography), magnetic resonance examination (MRI) and computer tomography (CT) of hematopoietic organs. In virtue of such diagnostic techniques, leukemia treatment becomes possible.
Before starting leukemia treatment, it’s necessary to understand a comprehensive picture in order to find out the disease nature and investigate body’s abilities to fight against disease. Red blood cells regeneration grade processing in a bone marrow is usually taken into account. Doctors investigate whether a particular patient was exposed to radiation, if tolerated virus infections, handling of chemicals, etc. Moreover, doctors identify the form of a disease: acute or a chronic one.
There are different types of the disease depending on development speed and other factors:
- Acute and chronic leukemia based on how quickly disease develops
- Myeloid or lymphoid based on pathologic cells type
Combination of above characteristics gives a list of diagnosis as below:
- Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) and Acute promeylocytic leukemia (APL)
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL)
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) and Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (CMML)
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Hairy cell leukemia
- Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia (JMML)
- Large granular lymphocytic leukemia (LGL leukemia)
Among that types of blood cancer there are a few that found mostly in children.
Signs and Symptoms of Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
ALL is a common type of blood cancer which often affects kids under six years old. More than 2/3 of all the cases of childhood cancer are associated with ALL. Its pick happens in 2-3 years old. As it follows from the disease name ALL is related to white blood cells (lymphocytes) mutation. The name for the mutated cell is “blast”. As soon appeared, the blasts start developing in geometrical progression and do not leave enough space for normal cells. The disease is difficult to diagnose early as it, mostly, has unspecific symptoms that could be related to many children’s disorders.
The blasts spread results in decreasing of a number of all the types of normal blood cells including red cells, white cells and platelets. Depending on which kind is suppressed more, the symptoms could vary.
Among the first symptoms of leukemia you can find some that may indicate many other disorders:
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Pain in chest and cough
Low red blood cells level (anemia) may be a cause of
- Paleness and fatigue
- Feeling cold
- Having frequent headache
- Sudden breath shortness
Low white blood cells count can be accompanied with the following symptoms
- Infections occur as the body loose protection which normally provided with normal white cells
- Persistent fever
Decreasing in pallets count causes
- Easy bruising
- Bleeding gum, sores
- Nose bleeds
If not treated, ALL develops fast and other signs of advanced stage appear:
- Pain in bones and joints caused by leukemia lesions
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, underarms, and groin that could pain
- Swelling in abdomen, increasing of liver and/or spleen
- Weight loss
- Nausea and vomiting
Symptoms of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia
AML is a second common type of blood cancer in children. Another name of the disease is acute non-lymphocytic leukemia in which granulocytes are increased significantly and bone marrow cells development is blocked in early stage.
The most of symptoms of AML in children are similar to those relevant to ALL but there are also some specific:
- Eczema or rash
- Petechiae (small dark spots under the skin)
- Lump around the eyes of blue-green color
- Blue or purple painless lumps around the body
Symptoms of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
Chronic myeloid leukemia is rarer in children than above types, it accounts for about 5% of all childhood cancers. It happens in smaller children below 1 year and in teenagers and is caused by damage in gene structure. CML does not have the specific symptoms different from other kinds of blood cancer and you cannot determine it without help of oncology professionals in field of blood and bone marrow cancer.
Coping with Childhood Cancer
Childhood leukemia is serious challenge to family and it is required joint efforts of the parents, medical personnel and environment. Pediatric cancer centers in Germany have not only appropriate technical conditions and professional base for treatment but also psychological support services. You will have all the explanations in your own language and receive complete guide to leukemia in children.
You should not feel desperate if your child was diagnosed with leukemia. In recent years the success in blood cancer curing is improved significantly and, currently, survival rate in children with ALL as high as 90% when timely treated. If you found any signs and symptoms in your child you have to contact a doctor for immediate examination and diagnosis of your child. The goal of GMG is to help you in finding the best clinic to help in overcoming disease. Apply online for appointment with a leukemia specialist.
The acute form of blood cancer can turn to the chronical form as it happens for other diseases. These forms are separate kinds of leukosis and are named differently. The acute form has three stages. According to these stages, leukemia treatment approaches assigned by a doctor will be different:
- The initial stage of this disease emerges as minor blood dyscrasia, decrease in immunity and anemia. Typically, leukosis cannot be diagnosed, that’s why it turns into more dynamic cancer type. Leukemia treatment at this stage can be processed with a help of maintenance medication. However, in this case, a patient should look after a bone marrow donor to be able to provide an ultimate recovery and vital activities of a patient.
- The second stage is a more complicated form because it causes all blood cancer symptoms: anemia, occasional ecchymosis, lymphadenopathy, blood-making organs enlargement, weight losses. In this case, German doctors recommend bone-marrow transplantation surgery in order to provide high-quality leukemia treatment.
- The third stage is called a final form in the reason of sharp health deterioration. A patient has critical health conditions accompanied by secondary tumors in the internals. Along with these symptoms, a patient faces organs dysfunction, nervous system, bloodstream and breathing breakdown. A special leukemia treatment act has to be created. It should include medication plan and surgical intervention when the first approach becomes non-effective. Doctors in Germany have impressive experience in leukemia treatment area, so they successfully carry out bone marrow transplantation. This allows a patient making a good recovery.
If a patient suffers from the advanced leukosis from, there are big chances that this patient has hepatic, splenocele and other organs tumors. All of them are need to be removed surgically as well. Leukemia treatment requires a complex approach, so luckily German clinics have all sufficient newest equipment and with a help of the best surgeons can successfully conduct high-quality surgeries.
The most effective methods of leukemia treatment are:
- Surgical bone marrow transplantation;
- Viscera tumors surgical elimination using nano-technologies and minimally invasive techniques.
Special care is paid to children in Germany. Leukemia treatment among little patients results in 90% effectiveness because bone marrow transplantation requires not only parents, but other people with appropriate material. Moreover, doctors in Germany carry out leukemia treatment by using autologous and stem cell transplantation.
Leukemia treatment and patients’ rehab after serious surgeries happen quickly because of the following German clinics’ advantages:
- High professional qualification
- Formidable surgeons expertize
- Individual care for every patient in the clinic
- Innovative technologies and modern equipment
Leukemia treatment becomes possible and high-effective, so patients can be cured even in advanced stages of blood cancer. The key idea that should be kept in mind during the treatment is to set a patient up for recovery and make him ready to fight the disease.