Chemotherapy is essential part of cancer treatment, because it helps to recover and decrease complications after surgeries and therapy. If you want to get professional help and advice of real professionals, a decent clinic should be chosen for treatment. Where to seek for high-quality help? German Medical Group offers great clinics for cervical cancer chemotherapy treatment.
Chemotherapy is aimed at killing cancer cells that might have stayed after surgery or radiation. Being absorbed into blood, chemo drugs for cervical cancer travel inside the body, which allows reaching malignant cells in all areas. Such type of treatment is suggested for patients who:
- go through treatment after having the first diagnosis;
- have cancer recurrence;
- are preparing for a surgery that is being a part of a clinical trial.
Studies show that chemotherapy may be effective on almost any stage of cervical cancer, and is a good addition, or even analogue to other types of treatment. Chemotherapy shrinks cancer cells and tumors, and now is being used as a part of neoadjuvant therapy (treatment performed before surgery) which allows removing less tissue at surgery and treating a smaller area. Besides, it reduces outcomes and symptoms of the malaise.
The vast majority of chemo drugs are tablets, and the frequency of their intake is defined by type of medication and whether it was prescribed with anything else. As a rule, this type of therapy lasts for a few days every 3-4 weeks. Medications may be injected into veins to circulate in bloodstream. Then a person rests for three-four weeks, and starts the treatment round. This is repeated six times or more for the course to be completed.
If a woman has chemoradiation, she will have chemotherapy once a week during five weeks while going through radiation course. While having weekly cervical cancer chemotherapy, a woman gets lower dose of drugs. Options for chemoradiation include:
- Cisplatin given every week while having radiation course: it in injected in a vein prior to radiation therapy.
- Cisplatin plus 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) given in the course of radiation.
Cisplatin is the most widespread drug. Advanced cancer and its recurrence are cured by other remedies and their combinations. Most widespread drugs are:
- Paclitaxel (Taxol)
Most often, carboplatin and paclitaxel are used together. A doctor will assign an appropriate drug course basing on your health condition, age and disease stage.
Chemotherapy drugs for cervical cancer can trigger different outcomes: it depends on the medications used, dose and intake frequency, and individual reaction. Mind that people may have various side effects, or not to face them at all, because everybody has different reaction to this or that drug. Effect usually lasts for a few days and while using medications. There is almost nothing to be done to decrease outcomes. They include:
- Loss or thinning of hair.
- Low appetite.
- Feeling sick.
- Fatigue and lack of energy.
- Decrease of blood cells.
- Mouth ulcers and sore mouth.
Lack of blood cells may also result into higher risk of getting an infection, long recovery even after minor skin damages, and breath shortness. When chemo is combined with radiation, the above mentioned outcomes can worsen, and a woman may also face many unpleasant outcomes. Changes of periods are likely to happen after chemo, and even if woman’s periods stopped, she can still get pregnant. That is why it is important to discuss birth control options with a doctor.
Sometimes drugs and chemotherapy lead to permanent infertility, but if that did not happen, a woman can have children when the treatment is fully finished. The older patient is, the higher risk of infertility she faces.
Don’t know where to get highly professional medical help? German Medical Group offers lots of options for European patient. Now you have a chance to go through cervical cancer chemotherapy in the best German clinics. Why is that a reasonable solution?
- European patients can come over to Germany without Visa – it is not required.
- Cost of medical procedures in Germany is way less than in the USA, Australia and many other developed countries. The same applies to stationary treatment and therapies.
- The cost of flight to Germany from other European countries is several times less than flying, for instance, to New York.
- German doctors speak English, and you don’t need an entrepreneur to understand them.
- German specialists used advanced methods and therapies based on rich experience and recent research.