Endocrinology is dealing with diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands that secrete hormones into the body. There are many endocrine diseases and in most cases no obvious symptoms develop. Therefore, it is important to recognize the problem quickly and contact a specialist in Germany in time.
Please take a look at the list of the best endocrine clinics in Germany which have earned a good reputation both in Europe and worldwide. For more information please visit our website or contact our medical experts directly and get an individual medical consultation.
The diagnosis of endocrine diseases
Endocrinology in Germany involves a wide range of methods to detect endocrine disorders:
- laboratory hormone testing
- functional diagnostic tests
- evaluation of metabolic disorders
- scintigraphy (radiography, computed tomography (CT), nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (NMRI).
After establishing a diagnosis, an endocrinologist decides on necessary treatment that includes a hormone substitution with synthetic hormones, which are prototypes of natural hormones, as well as functional recovery of affected organs. In Germany the treatment depends on such indications of the patient as obesity or metabolic disorder that directly allude to dysfunction of the endocrine system. Patients suffering from obesity not only go on a balanced diet, but also have to do special exercises to lose weight.
What kind of endocrine diseases are treated in Germany?
- Thyroid diseases
- Parathyroid gland diseases
- Acromegaly (excessive and disproportionate growth of extremities)
- Cushing’s syndrome (also called hypercorticism) – excess cortisol secretion
- Endocrine-inactive pituitary tumors
- Craniopharyngioma – inherited benign brain tumor derived from pituitary gland embryonic tissue
- Endocrine system disorder: inherited or acquired disorders after a surgical procedure or as a result of inflammation
- Prolactinoma is an endocrine active tumor of the anterior pituitary which secretes high levels of the hormone prolactin
- Diabetes insipidus
- Hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome) – excess secretion of aldosterone
- Addison’s disease is a chronic adrenal insufficiency
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia – excess cortisol and cholesterol secretion
- Hypoglycemia, e.g. in case of insulinoma (insulin-producing tumor of the pancreas)
- Pheochromocytoma (adrenaline-producing adrenal tumor)
- Excess or deficient sex hormone production (e.g. gynecomastia – breast development in men or hirsutism – excess facial and body hair in women)
- Inherited metabolic disorders like porphyria
- Adiposity (obesity)
Scientific researches in the centres for endocrine surgery in Germany:
Diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders has been one of the main fields of endocrinology and endocrine surgery in German clinics so far. The treatment of the patients with Grave’s disease and thyroid eye disease includes a special medical consultation as well as an examination by an ophthalmologist.
Medullary thyroid cancer
German endocrine clinics treat patients with thyroid cancer in cooperation with health care facilities in the field of nuclear medicine and general surgery. Medical centres conduct researches on new chemotherapy methods to treat well and poorly differentiated thyroid cancer.
In recent years medical centres for endocrinology in collaboration with research institutes for the endocrine disorders have developed advanced molecular genetic characteristics of inherited forms of diseases. A close cooperation with medical facilities specializing in gastroenterology and nuclear medicine has enabled to perform such new diagnostic procedures as endoscopic ultrasound and positron emission tomography.
Endocrine surgery in Germany – minimally invasive methods
For patients with endocrine diseases German surgeons offer minimally invasive surgeries. Due to a very small incision there is only a little scar after a surgery. After such surgeries the patient recovers fast and quickly goes back to the usual way of life.
Radioactive iodine therapy
Radioactive iodine therapy, a widely used method in the German endocrinology clinics, deserves special attention. This type of treatment is recommended to diagnose a lesion or thyroid nodules. The level of radiation during the therapy is similar to the electromagnetic radiation during the radiography. It means the patient gets only a low dose of radiation.
Endocrine disorders that cause ovarian diseases form a special field of endocrinology. Due to therapeutic intervention in the pituitary gland and thyroid gland German physicians can treat infertility and regulate the hormone level.
In case of endocrine diseases it is important to bear in mind that if you postpone the treatment for a long time, the disease can lead to significant disorders. So, if you suffer from a thyroid or other endocrine disorder, we are ready to assist you with a diagnosis, treatment or a medical consultation in a German clinic.