If a person goes through the process of hearing loss, and wants to compensate it, there is some special kind of hearing aid. Cochlear ear implants is the technology of the future that may solve the problem forever. What is it, and where a patient may go through this procedure?
This is a hearing implant that performs the functions of damaged parts of the inner ear. It may supply sense of hearing in case of serious hearing loss, but it does not restore it actually. An implant has two parts: internal and external. It is placed under the skin behind the ear, and its electrodes are put in cochlea or inner ear. The external part looks like hearing aid and sends received signals to electrodes.
When the microphone catches sound, it is converted into electrical signals and then are being transmitted by inner part of the device. Electrode stimulates hearing nerve and sends signals directly to where brain perceived and interprets them.
Cochlear implant and hearing aid are different things. While hearing aids makes sound louder (which won’t be a good idea for a child), implant bypasses distorted parts of the ear, e.g. hair cells, and sends signals right to the hearing nerve. Thus, it is a better option for patients who can’t use usual hearing aid for this or that reason.
This is a good solution for people suffering from sensorineural hearing loss in one or both ears. Who exactly may benefit from such surgery?
- Doctors recommend cochlear implant for children starting from 12-18 months and older. Well-times implantation allows a kid to start and finish education successfully and without problems in communication.
- Adults of any age (including the elderly) can also experience considerable benefits of cochlear implants: autonomy and freedom of communication.
- People with bilateral hearing loss will find such a device very useful. They are implanted in both ears, but not during one operation to estimate their effectiveness and patient’s reaction better. In this case, a cochlear implant makes up for better location of sound and helps to comprehend speech in noisy environments.
Today, operation of cochlear implant insertion has become a routine thing in many advanced clinics. However, this is a difficult procedure that requires high professionalism of doctor and proper preparation.
Before a surgery, a patient is given general anesthesia to make sure he or she will not move. For anesthesia to be safe and easy to go through, a person should follow strict rules concerning eating and drinking. The surgery lasts about 2-4 hours, but together with preparations and recovery it requires 6 hours. The operation is performed as follows:
- The surgeon shaves hair around the ear. A small cut is made behind the ear, and some space is created in the bone behind the ear so that the implant was protected.
- A small hole is drilled in the bone to put an electrode in the cochlea.
- The implant is secured in the space behind the ear, and skin is closed with a few stitches. They are dissolvable – there is no need to remove them.
- After that, the patient is moved to recovery room.
Although a person does not need hospitalization after the surgery, regular examinations and checking of hearing should be done to ensure that the device helps. This is not the end, though. It will take months until a person learns to use and perceive sound. During this time, regular visits to audiologist should be done.
Where to get professional and reliable medical help? People who worked with German Medical Group know that this company helps to find a good clinic where the best and most qualified specialists work. There are at least five reasons to choose treatment in Germany:
- Treatment in Germany is 20-30% cheaper that in the USA. The same concerns cochlear implant cost.
- Going to the USA is five times more expensive than travelling inside Europe. A plane ticket from any European city to Berlin is worth averagely $80-120.
- European patients do not need Visa to enter the country.
- German doctors speak English, and will be able to communicate with patients without an entrepreneur.
- German medicine is advanced, and professionals may use the latest methods and medications to ensure proper and safe treatment. This country is among the leaders of medicine development.
So if you are a European patient, this is the most sensible alternative to American clinics. Be sure: you will get highly professional medical assistance, and enjoy maximum comfort and care provided by medical personnel. German Medical Group offers the most advanced and clinics in different cities of the country.