In most cases, prosthetics is very successful, and an implant takes within 5-10 days depending on patient’s individual physical peculiarities. However, many patients face side effects during rehabilitation: swelling after implantation, pain, numbing, bleeding, etc. Some symptoms are normal, while the others mean that the procedure was performed incorrectly, or a patient didn’t follow the rules of hygiene. Such consequences can be eliminated with the help of drugs and mouthwash. Less often, doctor’s help is required.
Rehabilitation after dental implantation: main problems and reasons
The duration of recovery depends on individual anatomic peculiarities, absence or presence of complicating factors, contraindications, surgeon’s skills, following doctor’s recommendations and other aspects. Maximum recovery period for upper jaw – half a year, for lower teeth – 4 months.
Basic types of possible complications:
- Problems that happen immediately after prosthetics: if a patient has pain in jaw, or there’s a light/medium swelling, it’s an individual reaction to surgical invasion. These symptoms usually pass within 1-3 days.
- Problems caused by incorrect treatment and failure to follow doctor’s recommendations. These include hematomas, severe bleeding, inflammation of stitches, high temperature, pain after implantation. These symptoms start occurring from 5-7th day and may persist within 3-5 days. Without medical help, complications may develop (purulent process, weakening of bones and gums, loosening of the implant).
- Problems with implant survival. The way to treat the problem depends on severity of case (prescription of drugs, therapy of bone tissue, implant removal, implant replacement).
Which antibiotics are prescribed after implantation?
The main aim of post-surgery care is to minimize the risk of catching infection and bacteria via stitches. Pretty often, antibiotics are prescribed after implantation: they ensure antiviral protection when there’s lack of bone tissue, a person has deep cuts, or the operation was pretty complicated.
Doctors prescribe broad-spectrum medications that contain penicillin. Such drugs include Amoxiclav, Amoxycillin, and cephalosporins. These antibiotics ensure fast effect, they’re safe for patient’s body and kill the majority of infections. Treatment requires 4-8 days, less often – up to 2 weeks. The doctor defines dosage and duration of treatment in every individual case. Antibiotics should be used responsibly, because people may often experience:
- allergy and individual intolerance of penicillin and additional components;
- disbacteriosis and stomach upset;
Pain and temperature after implantation: how to deal with it?
Pain and swelling of soft tissues often occur after implantation. Although being pretty disturbing, these conditions pass within a few days. Symptoms can be relieved the following ways:
- Cold compress. If a person suffers from swelling after dental implantation, it’s recommended to apply ice to the affected zone and keep it for 5-15 minutes. Such treatment can be performed within 2-4 days.
- Mouthwash with herbal essences and herbal products containing chamomile flowers and leaves, extract of oak bark, salvia, etc. The procedure should be performed accurately so that not to damage the new implant. Mouthwash should be made 2-3 times a day. Together with herbal infusions, a person may also use chlorhexidine: it relieves swelling and disinfects tissues preventing contamination with bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory ointments, gels and injections. To improve recovery after implantation, doctors often prescribe nimesulide, analgin and diclofenac. People with problems of gastrointestinal tract (ulcers, gastritis) should use them carefully.
- More serious problems – severe bleeding and loosening of implant. If a gap develops in stitches, a person should get immediate medical help: the specialist will disinfect the wound, check how rigid the implant is, and put the new stitches.
You won’t have to worry about complications and side effects of dental surgery, if you choose a decent dental clinic. Where to find one? Let German Medical Group become your guide to European medicine. We offer patients from all over the world the opportunity to get dental treatment in the most advanced and reliable European medical centers. Our specialists can deal with every little detail for you: we work with documents and help to get invitation for Visa.
We can recommend a suitable clinic and specialist with required skills. Finally, we help to arrange visits and treatment, buy tickets and find a place to live for both patient and family members accompanying him or her. With German Medical Group you can be sure to get high-quality dental treatment without risks and dangers.